Friday, October 19, 2012

Legal Front

As I mentioned earlier we weren't sure whether or not we were going to be able to have the baby in our state easily. We have even been considering the fact that it may be easier legally to have the baby in the state we did the transfer. B and N have been doing everything they can to make it legal here. In most surrogacy cases in our state before the transfer is even performed you have to have medical evaluations, psychological evaluations, home studies (sometimes they are waived), contracts and it all has to go before a judge and in the end it is up to the judge to decide if the transfer can be done. You then get a pre-birth order that says the baby was conceived via surrogacy and the IP's (Intended Parents) are the rightful parents of the baby.

Now don't quote me on all this. I don't know a ton or details. I am learning though as we go through the process and also through a surrogate facebook group I have joined.

In our case we are trying to go through all these steps a bit backwards and in the end hope the judge will approve our case and let us get a pre-birth order. If he doesn't and we deliver here the baby will be born as mine and N's. Then B will have to adopt her own baby as its step mother from me. Or we can have it in the other state.

So we are working on advising our contract to be legal here in our state, B and N did their home study (and passed) to show how serious they are instead of trying to get it waived, we will be having a group counseling session and then it will all go before a judge and he/she will decide what we do next.  

We have also had to check our insurances and make sure that where we deliver my insurance will cover my doctor and hospital and that the Sweet's insurance will cover the baby at the hospital. Lucky for us my doctor and hospital that I like is covered by both of our insurances, yay!

This is all so new and crazy to me what people have to go through to be parents but it is all also very amazing that I am able to help a family grow.

(September 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment