Thursday, March 29, 2012

the risks

If I do this for B and N I will just be the gestational surrogate. I would not be donating my eggs. B and N already have embryos frozen, ready to be implanted. There are a ton less meds then when donating eggs and from what I have found less risk of complications. From what I can find the major risks of being a surrogate are just like in any normal pregnancy. Yes, I understand they are there. 


In my searching for answers I found this site with their risks and complications of being a surrogate.  http://www.eggdonorsurrogacyusa.com/surrogate_risks.php
  • Blood drawing - mild discomfort and some risk of developing a bruise at the needle site.

  • Reaction to Fertility medication - hot flushes, feeling down or irritable, headaches and restlessness.

  • Risks Associated with Pregnancy - including but not limited too: exhaustion, nausea, indigestion, constipation, weight gain, bloating, backaches, difficulty sleeping, breast pain, higher blood pressure, hormonal mood changes, stretch marks, loose skin, abdominal and vaginal muscle weakness, varicose veins, pre-eclampsia, placenta previa, gestational diabetes, anemia, embolism, cardiopulmonary arrest, placental abruption, molar pregnancy, future infertility, permanent disability, and death.

  • Ultrasound examinations - no known risks, minimal discomfort.

  • Psychological distress - sometimes associated with assisted reproductive technology  procedures.

  • Carrying Multiples - Multiple births carry risks to the health of the mother and the unborn babies.

  • Post-Partum Depression after Delivery - sadness and depression after delivering the child/children. 

I look at these risks and it does scare me a bit. I have had normal, healthy pregnancies in the past and can only pray for the same if I choose to do this. When I think real hard about all these (mainly the chance of infertility and death) I think,

I can't do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment